Beauty Review: Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Products from doctors are always a good thing to try because they know what they’re talking about, right? With that said, I was pretty excited to try one of the samples I received in my Nordstrom Beauty Gift – MD Skincare’s Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel by Dr. Dennis Gross.

The one thing I’m totally into when it comes to these DIY face peels is the idea that you can achieve beautiful skin on a budget. AND that you can do it in the comfort from your own home anytime you want – day or night.

Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel is a two step process and they come in a pad form so you can sit in front of the TV or computer, lie in bed, whatever you want because you don’t need a mirror or water to rinse. Awesome!

[Step 1: Alpha Beta Refining step with Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Genistein, Chamomile Extract, Green Tea. Swipe Step 1 pad over your newly cleansed and dry face, from forehead downward to neck in semi-circular strokes. Avoid contac
t with eyes and lips. Continue to apply evenly until pad feels dry. Wait two minutes.]

So while I was checking my Fantasy Football stats (I’m losing by the way..), I applied step one to my skin. I wasn’t really happy with what I was feeling. It stung, and not a good ti
ngly feeling, either. It was so stingy that it felt abrasive on my skin even though the sample I was using was a soft cleansing cloth. Not good.

[Step 2: Neutralizing System with Green Tea Extract, Phospholipids, Sodium Bicarbonate, Vitamins A, C, E. Swipe Step 2 pad over the face with the same technique as Step 1. Apply until pad feels dry. Do not rinse or use products containing alcohol. Allow skin to dry and then apply your moisturizer as usual.]

This step felt a little better on my skin; it was definitely cooling down my face from the first step. The one major problem I had with this was that the directions said to continue to apply until the pads feel dry. I’m not sure if it was the cleansing cloth sample I was using, but it felt like it wasn’t ever going to dry out. So I kept wiping and wiping, and it was still pretty damp. My face was starting to get cold so I decided to stop so that my face could dry and I could finally put moisturizer on.

Overall, I wasn’t too keen on this skincare regimen. Yes, the before and after photos on the website looks like you would get a positive result from regular use of this product. But for me, doing this on a daily basis is a lot to ask for. I’d rather spare my skin from the unpleasant stinging sensation everyday. And at $75 US for the month’s supply, I think I’ll stick to the Microdelivery Peel from Philosophy – a much gentler once a week regimen and a whole lot friendlier to the pocketbook.

Related Stories: Review: Philosophy Microdelivery Peel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the micro delivery peel recommend for men too?

nilla cookie said...

Hi Turtie -

I think that men can use the Microdelivery Peel as well because I don't think it's biased against women over men on the box's directions. As long as you're looking for a way to maintain softer, healthier looking skin, I'd highly recommend the Microdelivery Peel.

Hope this helps!